Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Paris - New Years Eve

Hello, I have been reading for some time, thank you for all the information thus far.





I do have a few questions I was hoping everyone could help answer.





We are vacationing to Paris for the New Years Eve holiday, also my boyfriends 30th birthday! We have not reserved a hotel as of today, but I am thinking it might be cheaper to look into renting an apartment?





Can someone recommend the best restaurants in Paris, for the night of his 30th Birthday?





Also, we will be in town for about 5-6 days and am wondering if day trips to nearby towns are an option? If so, what small towns would you recommend us visiting?





Last question, has anyone done a dinner cruise for New Years eve? We have not secured our reservations for this night and are still wondering what the best thing to do is.





Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.




|||



It looks like we will be in Paris the same time as you are, and we are celebrating my husband%26#39;s birthday as well. We are renting an apartment from Vacation in Paris and yes, it is definitely cheaper. If you know nothing about the city or prefer to rely on a concierge for restaurant reservations, etc., then a hotel still may be worth it for you. The cost is too much of a consideration for us, plus I%26#39;d rather make my own reservations and spend the balance on food and wine.





There are a number of restaurants that are closed during that time. What kind of budget do you have? My husband%26#39;s birthday is a Sunday, which limits our choices even further. After much research (here but primarly on the Chowhound France board), I%26#39;ve decided to make reservations at Senderens. Originally I chose Les Ombres, but a single review on Chowhound by a very reliable reviewer changed my mind on that one (a picture of a sald that cost 33 Euro that I could have made myself for $2.50. No kidding).





A lot depends on what your budget is, though. There are brasseries that are open year-round that might be cozy, but if you are going for more upscale, I would strongly recommend that you get a Michelin Red Guide for Paris. I actually cross reference it with Pudlo%26#39;s, which sometimes has additional information. Pudlo%26#39;s also has more info on less upscale places as well. Then again, I am a bit of a freak when it comes to guide books and pre-trip research. I plan to make reservations about a month in advance (as recommended by the Senderens website).





All of the Chowhound regulars, including the Paris residents, recommend having a nice lunch out on New Year%26#39;s eve and then staying in for dinner. They say that dinner is overpriced and service rushed. You will pay close to double what you%26#39;d pay any other time of year. I personally had a nice NYE dinner there in 2003, but it was simple and at a restaurant that was not at all fancy. My step-mom still paid quite a lot for it, though. We%26#39;re eating in the apartment that night and then taking our champagne out to see the sights.





And finally, we are playing it by ear regarding a day trip. (We will be there for 8 nights.) We are considering Rouen or Chartres. I have such a detailed itinerary, I wanted to leave an open day.





I hope this helps!




|||



Hi there! Thanks for all the wonderful information. I think I have landed on an apartment that I would love to rent, through Vacation in Paris as well. We%26#39;ll be saving a ton of $ on that rental, and like you said we can spend extra on dining and wine. :)





For his birthday i%26#39;d like to try a nice restaurant, approx $200 total for dinner? I know things are a little more expensive, but does this qualify as a good dinner? We%26#39;ll probably be staying near the eiffel tower, but are open to traveling anywhere for a good dinner.





Your suggestions about NYE are great, and I have heard the same from other websites. Although I am considering a NYE dinner cruise as an option right now. Seems like it would be a great idea to be on a boat, able to observe all the action by the Eiffel Tower, without having to be stuck in the middle of it.





Thank you again for all the info!




|||



It sounds like we will be staying in the same area. I think you can definitely find a nice dinner in you price range, assuming you don%26#39;t get too carried away with the wines (a problem for me, personally : ). I%26#39;ve heard great things about La Regalade. They have a three-course fixed price meal for under 40 Euro. It closes for a week on January 1, so keep that in mind, and is not open on Sat-Sun either. I have also heard good things about Chez L%26#39;Ami Jean in the 7th. If you email me, I would be happy to send you our crazy detailed itinerary, complete with retaurant info and opening times. I have lots of retaurants in the 7th, since that is where we will be staying as well. You could use it as a starting point to check restaurant websites and look at cuisine and prices as well.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment