Thursday, March 29, 2012

Palais Garnier--seats

I%26#39;m looking to go to a ballet at Palais Garnier. I also don%26#39;t want to spend a lot on the seats. Currently, the least expensive seats are 20 Euro, which is fine, in Categorie 4, the amphitheatre. Although the view seems fine from the top rear of the hall, I read that the seats were bench-type seats. Can someone confirm this. How bad were they?




|||



Previous posts have suggested they are on the uncomfortable side with limited leg room - but the experience of being there makes up for this.





Maybe you can take something small to fold a sit on? Nothing with too much height but enough to let your derrière enjoy the perfomance as much as your eyes and ears :o)





HTH%26#39;s





ebabe




|||



yes, I have also read that these seats don%26#39;t have much leg room and are uncomfortable. However, I would buy them in a minute if I couldn%26#39;t afford more expensive seats. I got cheap seats at the Opera Garnier last Sept. for an Opera. I sat in a left-side area (I%26#39;m having a senior moment and can%26#39;t think of what these are called (begnoire or something like that)--anyway, there are 6 chairs in them) for about 30-40E. It would be a perfect place to see ballet. It wasn%26#39;t perfect for an Opera because, although I could see the stage real well, I couldn%26#39;t see the language translation at the top of the curtain. (Actually, I didn%26#39;t even know it was there until the Opera was almost over and I just happened to bend down and noticed it.)





Pay whatever you can afford but go! What you see is only part of the thrill! It is an honor and thrill to see anything in that building. Just go! It is such a treat.





I love the New York City Ballet (Ballenchine sp?) so much and they will be in Paris this fall. Somebody please go and tell me how wonderful it was. I just can%26#39;t imagine the thrill of seeing them on the Opera Garnier stage!




|||



If anyone is interested, I found out (by calling the opera) that the amphitheatre seats are %26quot;proper seats%26quot; with backs and armrests, just very limited legroom.




|||



I can%26#39;t answer the question about the 20 Euros seats but did want to respond to the writer who mentioned the NYC Ballet: my understanding is that they will be at the Opera Bastille, not the Palais Garnier. But it is a great company and worth seeing! The Paris Opera Ballet will be at the Palais Garnier in September. And I would agree that even if your view isn%26#39;t good it%26#39;s worth going to the Garnier -- it%26#39;s quite spectacular.




|||



Anne--thank you so much for that information that the New York City Ballet would be at the Opera Bastille. Between that and Rigoletto, which is my favorite opera and will also be in Paris this fall--but at the Opera Bastille, I am feeling better. I originally thought they were both at the Opera Garnier and I was so bummed out that I am not going back to Paris until the following Sept. Now I don%26#39;t feel quite as bad knowing neither of these are at the Opera Garnier anyway.




|||



A little late replying to this but just back from Vacation. I am off to Paris in September and plan on taking the list tha %26#39;In Love with Paris posted%26#39; in in reply from my question for places Off the Beaten Track. What a great list it is. One thing I have not managed to do is to see a Ballet at the Opera House which I think is such a beautiful building. Any idea where I can get the schedule for the planned Ballet proformances for September?




|||



Here you go ladyprince





http://www.operadeparis.fr/Calendrier/





ebabe




|||



Ebabes69 - Thanks for the link to the Opera House. I see it is in the new one but I will try to get tickets. It is on the evening I get to Paris so it might be a rush but will be worth it. Will let you know.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 02, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment