Friday, March 23, 2012

Paris Trip Report August 2008 - Days 1/2

Bonjour!!





Just returned from a fabulous trip to Paris/Normandy/Loire Valley. I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to post answers to my questions and those of other posters. That information was invaluable in making our trip such a smashing success!!



FYI - we are a family of 4 - my husband, myself and our two sons, ages 15 and 13. I hope my report answers some of the questions that future travelers may have and inspires others to go!!!





Friday/Saturday Aug.1/2nd: Left LAX for Paris CDG on Air Tahiti Nui. First time flying with them and thought the flights (both coming and going) were good with the exception of the number of infants and toddlers on both flights (needless to say, sleep was therefore virtually non existent). My advice - if you have an infant/toddler and are thinking of going overseas for vacation do yourself and your fellow travelers a favor - DON%26#39;T!!!





Arrived CDG about 11:30am Paris time and made our way to the SCNF ticket office. The signage in CDG is very good so don%26#39;t be afraid that you won%26#39;t find it!! Waited a bit in line and got our train tickets for the ride from CDG to Paris and also purchased our Navigo passes at the same time as well as a carnet of metro tickets (since the pass starts on Mondays). Headed to the train platform and hopped on. Our apt. (#163 from Vacations in Paris) was right by the Port Royal RER stop. A note about taking the RER train to Paris. It really is an inexpensive and easy way to get into Paris but ONLY if you don%26#39;t have a lot of luggage to manage. We each travelled with only carry on luggage and so managing the stairs, etc. was easy. If you are bringing multiple/large suitcases i wouldn%26#39;t recommend it - they are just too cumbersome to lug up and down stairs and platforms.



Got off at Port Royal and we could see the apt from the station. The apt. was perfect for our needs and looked exactly like it was pictured - not fancy but had just about everything we needed. Our experience with Vacations in Paris was great and I would recommend them. Took quick showers and headed out in what was to be one of our main activities of the trip - keeping two teenagers fueled! Walked to Rue Daguerre to get something to eat and to do some basic grocery shopping. Found a creperie to have crepes at - not the best we would have on the trip but certainly fit the bill. Then shopped along the street picking up a roast chicken, salad, fruit, bread and then breakfast supplies from the Monprix on the corner. FYI - the cost for the crepes for lunch with drinks ran about 35 euros. I found groceries to run about the same as they do here in California - if you are trying to economize on your trip the grocery stores (monoprix, etc.) are a terrific option - drinks, pre made sandwiches, salads, etc. are all very reasonably priced. NOTE: if you like yogurt, you are in for a treat in France - a number of the stores we shopped in had an ENTIRE aisle devoted to it with all sorts of fabulous flavors - my personal favorite was the rhubarb yogurt (yeah, I know, I have strange tastes - or so my kids tell me!)



Headed back to the apt. dropped off the groceries and then decided to walk to Notre Dame. The streets of the Latin Quarter were teeming with people!!! Crossed the Seine and lo and behold there it was - Notre Dame!! The square in front of the church was mobbed with people so we didn%26#39;t go in but just walked around taking it all in and marveling at the construction - the flying buttresses, the carving, the gargoyles!!! Walked back with a little detour through the Luxembourg Gardens - absolutely lovely! We stopped and watched the kids %26quot;sail%26quot; their little boats on the water - and then it really hit me - WE were in Paris!!!!



By now the boys were hungry AGAIN (where they put all this food I honestly don%26#39;t know!) so we walked back to the apt. and collapsed. Hubby and I had a relaxing glass of wine with a bit of cheese and the requisite baguette while the boys surfed French TV (Note: I don%26#39;t think it is possible to get bad cheese in France - it%26#39;s ALL good!!) Had a dinner of roast chicken (YUM!!) fruit, salad and bread. Sleepy and now finally full we collapsed into bed!!!





Day 3 installment to come...




|||



Sounds like you had a great trip! Can%26#39;t wait for more.




|||



Hi Kinkora - thanks for the report - lots of useful information, especially as we



re alsop renting from VIP for October and it%26#39;s about 1km from the Port-Royal RER station. QWe plan to take the RER and walk the rest of the way. We both have mid-size suitcases on wheels and knapsacks - do you think we%26#39;re crazy? We%26#39;re in ok shape and I will try to convince my girlfriend not to wear heels!



Also, how come you walked all the way to Rue Daguerre? seems like a long walk to get groceries - was there nothing closer?




|||



Hi Rn -





I don%26#39;t think you are crazy at all - the only thing is at Port Royal there is no escalator - only stairs so keep that in mind - we had no trouble carrying our bags up but given the size and weight of many of the suitcases I saw people checking at the airport it wouldn%26#39;t work for everyone!!



A definite %26quot;no%26quot; on the heels - after tromping through Paris for a week I wished I had brought my running shoes even though I brought two pairs of walking shoes/sandals!! Even if you take the Metro you will do a significant amount of pavement pounding!!





From our apt. to Rue Daguerre wasn%26#39;t very far - I chose it because it has a number of individual food venders and a Monoprix and I knew after 15 plus hours of traveling we would need to walk!!! I certainly could have gotten just about everything I needed at a closer grocer but I really wanted to see what the individual vendors had - I am a chef for hire so the food aspect of Paris was of particular interest to me.




|||



that makes sense Kinkora - I picked our vip location hoping we were close to a couple of markets near Rue Mouffetard. Thanks for the tips -hope you continue to have a great trip!




|||



Nice report.... however, you started it by complaining about your young fellow travellers...



...%26quot; My advice - if you have an infant/toddler and are thinking of going overseas for vacation do yourself and your fellow travelers a favor - DON%26#39;T!!!%26quot;





My son is 7, and will be taking his 3rd trip to Europe in November.... My 5 year old will be on his 2nd trip, and it will be the first trip for my 13 month old... They would have had another trip in 2006 but we had to cancel our England/Scotland/Italy trip... My children travel very well, and love flying...! They have a concept of public space and %26quot;inside voices%26quot;.... We schedule the latest flight to coincide with their normal sleep routines as much as possible.





Sorry the young ones ruined your flight... Do they also ruin your meals in restaurants...? Of course it%26#39;s a personal choice, but evidently you waited 15 and 13 years to show your kids the wonders of France and international travel... luckily, my kids have developed a love of London, Edinburgh, Paris, and Normandy, not to mention Banff!





The funny thing is, we had more trouble on our last few flights with adults and teeneagers... %26quot;So if you have an adult/teenager and are thinking of going overseas for vacation do yourself and your fellow travelers a favor - DON%26#39;T!!!%26quot; LOL






|||



I am enjoying reading your report as I plan to go next year with my family - 2 children 16 and 20 and husband. I totally agree with you - as your children get older your lose patience with really little kids on flights. As for the reply you received from a very well travelled person with their 3 very small children - its really great you want to culturally educate your children. However, take it from someone with older children - i took mine on a big trip around the world when they were 8 and 3 and believe me they remember nothing of it now.




|||



oh and one more thing - i am extremely surprised that a 5 year old and 7 year old have such a well developed appreciation of international travel.





as for waiting until children are older - i am all for it. At least when I explain about the history and magic of paris they will know what I am talking about.





kinkora - have a wonderful trip




|||



Millie2112 - I like your name... are you a Rush fan...?





The point of my post was to counter the extremely broad generalites of the OP.... since there were out of control children on her particular flight, ALL travel with children should be avoided... absurd.





It%26#39;s like the post to avoid wasting a day at Versailles, because that OP had a bad experience due to poor planning....





And... I never said my children ...%26quot;have such a well developed appreciation of international travel. That is your assumption. I merely stated that they travel very well, they love flying, and they developed a love for some of the cities they%26#39;ve been to. I think my children are very normal. They have a curiosity about stuff, which I gladly feed. I was a bit surprised your 8 year old remembered %26quot;nothing of it now%26quot; of your world trip....





I read stories to my kids of the places they will visit. (This is London, This is Paris, The Cat Who Walked Across France, Joan of Arc, etc) We always buy children%26#39;s books whenver we travel. They know something about the Queen, the American Revolution, the Tower, Tower Bridge, St Pauls, the Fire of 1666, 1066, Napolean, Marie Antoinette losing her head at the Place du Concorde, the expansion of Paris from the islands in the middle of the Seine, the Expositions of 1889 and 1900, the %26quot;Eiffel Tower/Statue of Liberty connection,%26quot; etc... So my children already know some of the history of Paris. They know how to say some basics like hello, good bye, thank you, and pleaase (etc.) in Spanish, French and Italian. We make a game of it, and kids are fast learners of whatever you present, if done the right way....





On this trip, they are looking forward to: seeing the armor and crown jewels at the Tower, seeing a boat go %26quot;through%26quot; Tower Bridge, trying to make a sentry at Horseguards laugh, feeding the ducks at St. James Park, the older one wants to climb to the first level of the Eiffel Tower, have a chocolate crepe, visit the catacombs (jury%26#39;s still out on that one) see Napolean%26#39;s tomb, place a flower at the Tomb of the Unknown, see where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake in Rouen, feed the chickens apples at the farmehouse B%26amp;B in Normandy, etc....





The purpose of my post was in response to the over-generalization that kids should not travel as they are a burden to sensitive, older travellers. My kids do love to travel, and I am thankful for the opportunites to take them places. I know there are lots of other parents who feel the same... and lots of others who think that their purchase of a ticket on public transportation should ensure them some sort of right to not be bothered by others, regardless of age. My %26quot;bother%26quot; last trip was the heavyset adult with coughing fits in the window seat who had to use the bathroom 13 times, and the giggling teenagers who played the game of %26quot;kick the seat in front of you%26quot;, and %26quot;use the person%26#39;s headrest in front of you as leverage when you stand, and pull really hard!%26quot;.... lol But, flying on a public plane, I didn%26#39;t include that in my trip review...!





I%26#39;m sorry they were bothered.... but if the OP merely said to %26quot;bring earplugs%26quot; or %26quot;take a sleeping pill because some kids scream%26quot; I would have readily agreed.... because they do.





%26quot;Tripadvisor has determined this post is long enough%26quot; lol




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, October 05, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment