Thursday, March 29, 2012

paris to venice: Airline advice

Hi, I am looking to fly from Paris to Venice late August. I have looked into the Budget airlines such as Vueling, EasyJet, Myair, and RyanAir. I am just a little nervous in regards to the baggage limit (15-20 kilos per person). As I will be traveling for a month I am afraid that my baggage will exceed the limit and I really don%26#39;t want to pay 10+ euros for every kilo the baggage is over (what they are charging). Does anybody know if these rules are strictly enforced and on which airlines? I read a post where pa group of people had all their luggage over the limit on MyAir but werent charged extra. Worth the risk? Thanks for your time!




|||



Hi,





Have you considered taking the Artesia night train from Paris to Venice. I am doing this in September and am really excited about it! There is no baggage weight limits either....





Good luck!




|||



It seems its hit or miss on whether or not you get charged the extra amount but what a risk! A couple of years ago two friends and I were travelling via Ryan air after packing her daughter up after a year in Florence. After the weigh in she was assessed a very hefty (near $200) fee for the overage.





I was in a bit of a panic, as my shoulder bag was full of Italian Ceramics and was way over the limit. I managed to appear that it was nearly weightless even though it was digging into my shoulder and I wanted to cry it hurt so bad. They didn%26#39;t ask to weigh it and I didn%26#39;t get assessed the extra fee :-).





The train may be the way to go if you can get a reservation. It was our first choice but the train we needed was sold out 3 months in advance.





Good luck.





Linda




|||



Thanks!!





Yes, we had considered the night train, but I opted against it because I just wanted to get from Paris to venice faster, and since we are traveling by train in 5 other instances. We already received tickets for the trains and there may not be any availability at this point for the overnight one. I guess I just have to pack light. Good idea on carrying the heavy items on board and passing it off as if its light items. I will definitely be pulling that trick. I am thinking that we won%26#39;t do RyanAir even though it is the cheapest since the airports are more out of the way and would spend the extra 30-50 Euros on transportation in between anyways. That means its between MyAir, EasyJet and Vueling. If you have a preference on one over the other please let me know. Thank you for your suggestions!





-Kala




|||



I do know that Easyjet cut-off their check-in 40 minutes before their flight.



They have also now moved to Term.2 B.



Flew them once before and they%26#39;re fine....baggage is 20 kg. I think !



Sharon




|||



Did you check with major airlines? We flew Air France direct from Paris around $325 two years ago (in September 2006). No worries and the usual weight limits.




|||



We flew MyAir in June. They didn%26#39;t scrutinize the weight of the checked bags, and I%26#39;m 95% sure they were over the limit of 18kg per person. However, I think we were just lucky in this regard.





For my planning, I looked at the cost of the airfare (for us $159 Euros total for two passengers, including the advance surcharge for three bags and all taxes) and factored in an assumption that we%26#39;d exceed the weigh limit by a few kilos. Compared that to the price of the train ticket (looking ahead to October 19th right now the price is $334 for the lowest fare class for two) the difference is negligible (in fact the train is more expensive so long as I wasn%26#39;t more than 6-7 kilos heavy). A lot of people claim one benefit of the train is saving one night of hotel expenses -- but personally I know I wouldn%26#39;t get the same kind of sleep in a couchette that I%26#39;d get in a bed. Even with a modest delay getting out of Paris (weather) we were in our hotel bed by midnight and touring Venice first thing in the morning... I would definitely do it the same way again.





Jason




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 08, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment