Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Best LOCAL restaurants

Looking for best local food in Nice. Want to eat where you eat!! Let me know. THANKS




|||



Please....your are asking us to pick out the nicest grains of sand in the Sahara! What is your budget, if any? Do you want fancy french, niccoise, italian or basic local cuisine? Are you interested in a great Indian or Chinese eaterie? As you can see, we need more info.




|||



When looking for local food, we have not budget constraints. IF you are a local person living in Nice, whre would you eat local food. Thanks




|||



A lot of locals here are Italian, which better value and better than the standard in Northern Italy - I reckon the best restauranteurs move to the Riviera.





For sensibly priced good Italian a cut above the rest, Baie d%26#39;Amalfi at Gustave deLoye / Pastorelli.





For sensible priced French likewise - locals tend not to eat out every night price no object - thats for tourists - try Cantina Lulu, rue Pastorelli/ Aliberti.





Up the ante? - Christian Plumail%26#39;s l%26#39;Universe, bd Jean Jaures





I defer to others on Vieux Nice. I tend not to go for Nicois Specialties (testicules de mouton anyone tried?)




|||



Testicules are GORGEOUS. They come in thick fried slices, several inches across. French rams must be very well endowed.




|||



Respect Jo! - my eyes watered at your description. No doubt given the chance, you also plump for pigs trotters and Calves head, washed down with warm goats spittle.





(I did order sheeps brain once, in Dubai - it was very small. I concluded only the not very bright sheep ended up as lunch)





At least Nice Socca results only in the death of a few chickpeas. Vegetable Rights campaigners please note.





I strugged with Nicois Tarte de Blettes. Spinach tart dusted with icing sugar. Ghastly. I still say give the local Specialities Nicois a wide berth. I%26#39;ll stick with the Poulet Roti.





Cheers!




|||



NiceLife I enjoy reading your responses. You have an elegant and witty turn of phrase. As you are a part time Nice resident I respect your advice. One of the best TA members contributing to Nice Forum. (Have you had the bouillabaisse in Chez Davia, R Grimaldi?No iffy bits in that unless I couldn%26#39;t identify them).Testicles,brains,sweetbreads,intestines-oh no not for me. As a child my Mum used to serve brains, cos it was sheep, no sorry, cheap. The memory of the texture still makes me heave. And school dinners of liver and onions with tubes in the liver. Oh how lucky I am now to be able to afford prime cuts.




|||



Back on track, where do the locals eat? Try La Petite Maison, even tho%26#39; you%26#39;ll also see the odd aging 70s popstar in there, he%26#39;ll be rubbing shoulders with the local councillors. Also, Le Safari on Cours Saleya, although popular with tourists, it%26#39;s also popular with locals and the food is regional (they do tripe a la nicoise). I%26#39;ll second NiceLife%26#39;s recommendation of the Cantine de Lulu on rue Alberti - Lucien the owner is a great guy and champion of Nicoise cuisine - may be an idea to book tho%26#39; as it%26#39;s a very small place. The Grain de Cafe on ave Felix Faure is a great favourite run by Corsicans. Also the Cenac, just along the road from Nice Etoile and Monoprix. Cuisine is a mix of South East and South West France, run by a Parisian. There are always regulars there, even tho%26#39; again, it attracts its fair share of tourists.




|||



Boy, it%26#39;s nice to see I started a food blog here...keep them coming!! What about La Zucca Magica??




|||



Friends of ours (ex Nice residents) tried the Zucca Magica and said the food was good, vegetarian, but there was way too much. It seems to be open at odd times, and you should only go if you haven%26#39;t eaten the day before.




|||



I can%26#39;t claim to be an expert, but I can absolutely recommend both Bar Bienvenue (run by two English lads, I think)and Chez Palmyre (great fun). Both can be found in Vieux Nice and are not expensive



Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment